Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The month of May

A month full of promise, and summertime sunshine, but for me it's starting out as trouble. On May 2nd, for some unknown reason, I decided to have a party for both my daughters. Ultimately, it was meant to be an all girls party, with no Hamza. Unfortunately, circumstances changed and not only was Hamza at the party, but I had to invite other boys to accompany him.

Never, never, again! Wow! with fifty girls at the party, they were all unnoticed. Ten boys on the other hand, including Hamza became a nightmare. I had to be in ten places at one, with eyes in the back of my head.

Currently Hamza is not on any kind of meds for his ADHD. His father is so against any concept of medicating a child, that he will not succumb to using meds. as a source of treatment for ADHD. For me, on the other hand, I'm starting to reconsider the concept of meds. for Hamza again.

One of the symptoms to ADHD, is to act before thinking. There is no thought process behind some of Hamza's actions. Therefore, on the party day, I had to make sure that he would not chase a cat across the street, or run after an ice cream truck. He also has very little control over his emotions. Any little thing will make his cry, and his anger can be set off just as easily. When he's angry, he acts without thought. Meaning, I had to make sure that he doesn't become violent with other children. At one point, I just reached him right before he jumped into the lack. He told me he wanted to catch a fish.

It becomes very hard for him to interact with other children. They don't understand him, and he doesn't understand them. They make fun of him because he cries; and they know how to trick him into doing things he's not suppose to do. The only way to keep him still is to put a video game into his hand, but what kind of option is that? He's very smart, so I don't want to wast his brain on video games. Most kids with ADHD are extremely smart, with high IQ. Academically, he's brilliant, but the problem is, to have him to sit still long enough in a classroom.

At the party, I compared him to the other boys, and I came to the conclusion that he needs help. He's ten now, and he still has trouble interacting, and doing what other boys his age do. The other kids at the party his age, were able to go off on their own, but Hamza couldn't. He has no control over his actions, and anything could happen.

So what are my options? Should I consider putting him back on meds? I'm starting to lean in that direction these days. Some say meds are the easy way out, but what else can be done? He needs to be able to go out and play, ride his bike, and have friends like any other ten year old child. He's a sweet boy, fun and loving, who needs to enjoy his childhood.

2 comments:

  1. All i can say is hope things get easy for you and your son. And May also means, Mother's Day. You kids are very fortunate to have a mom like you, who has more responsibilty then other moms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things will work out. You are doing a real service here. I hope people who have children with ADHD are reading this to know that they are not alone.

    ReplyDelete